[virt-tools-list] Problem with virt-install and KVM

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 17:53:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:58:31AM -0500, Digimer wrote:
> 1) Using '--paravirt', the installer tries to use "Xen" regardless of
> the 'connect' and 'virt-type' arguments.

"paravirt" doesn't make sense with KVM.  If you want paravirt drivers
(ie. virtio block etc) then that is up to what the guest supports.  Of
course all recent versions of Fedora support it.  All you need to do
in virt-install is to specify the "--os-type" and "--os-variant" flags
to match the guest you are trying to install, and it should figure it
all out.

> 2) When I try to specify >1 CPU, the install of the Fedora 14 VM hangs.
> This is where I am unsure of where to create the bug report. How can I
> tell if this is a bug with the VM or a bug with the hypervisor?

This all sounds like a bug in KVM and/or Fedora (a very serious one at
that).  Please make sure this gets recorded on bugzilla.redhat.com.

Rich.

--
bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html