[virt-tools-list] bios file

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Apr 27 18:32:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 03:02:02PM +0200, Michael Markusch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new in virt-manager. In the past I use qemu via shell with my own
> bios file:
>
> qemu -m 4000 -hda /media/xxx/QEMU/WIN7_qcow2.img -bios
> /usr/share/qemu/bios_fujitsu.bin
>
> How can I define this in the virt-manager guest gui? Or how can I pass
> through this option with the guest start?

This is possible by adding an <os> <loader> element to the libvirt
XML, see:

  http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsOSBIOS

The documentation is wrong.  At least in the latest libvirt, the qemu
driver supports this to set the -bios parameter.

I don't know if this is possible directly in virt-manager, but another
way is to create the VM in virt-manager and then (after shutting down
the VM), edit it using:

  virsh edit NameOfGuest

and add the <loader> element as outlined in the link above.

Rich.