[virt-tools-list] "ERROR Format cannot be specified for unmanaged storage."

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 04:53:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

The following command gives me the error in the title. Does anybody
know how to specify the file format? Thanks.

sudo virt-install -n web_devel_qcow2_name -r 4096 --disk
path=/tmp/web_devel_qcow2,bus=virtio,size=1,format=qcow2 -c
~/iso/ubuntu-13.10-server-amd64.iso --network bridge=br0,model=virtio
--graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 --noautoconsole -v

https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/singlehtml/book_kvm/book_kvm.html#tip.libvirt.config.pci.virsh.managed

Also, I found the following explanation on the above page. But I don't
quite understand it. Does "managed" only applies to PCI devices (hence
not disk)? Thanks.

libvirt recognizes two modes to handle PCI devices: they can be either
'managed' or 'unmanaged'. In the managed case, libvirt will handle all
the details of unbinding the device from the existing driver if
needed, resetting the device, binding it to pci-stub before starting
the domain, etc. When the domain is terminated or the device is
removed from the domain, libvirt will unbind from pci-stub and rebind
to the original driver in the case of a managed device. If the device
is unmanaged, the user must take care to ensure all of these
management aspects of the device are done before assigning it to a
domain, and after the device is no longer used by the domain.

--
Regards,
Peng