new to virt-manager & tools, have issues with screen sizing and VPN setup in a guest

Junqin Zhou juzhou at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 11:44:18 UTC 2022

Hi Sbob,
Please see my comments below.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 1:36 PM Sbob <sbob at quadratum-braccas.com> wrote:

> Hi all;
>

> I installed the following today :
>
> qemu-kvm libvirt virt-install bridge-utils  virt-manager libvirt-devel
> virt-top libguestfs-tools guestfs-tools
>

> I followed this guide to install virt-manager and a bridged network.
>

> I used virt-v2v to convert a VMware image :
>
> # virt-v2v -i vmx /data/vmware/Fedora35-Wynnbet/Fedora35-Wynnbet.vmx  -o
> local -of qcow2 -os /data/kvm/Imported/Fedora35-Wynnbet
>

> Then I edited the resulting xml file
> (/data/kvm/Imported/Fedora35-Wynnbet/Fedora35-Wynnbet.xml)
>
> and I commented out the network interface (the VMware one):
>
>         <!-- <interface type='network'> -->
>       <!-- <source network='ethernet0'/> -->
>       <!-- <model type='virtio'/> -->
>       <!-- <mac address='00:0C:29:0B:53:5E'/> -->
>     <!-- </interface> -->
>

> Next I added the new vm to virt-manager:
>
> # virsh define /data/kvm/Imported/Fedora35-Wynnbet/Fedora35-Wynnbet.xml
>

> It worked, I started the vm from virt-manager, logged in and used
> virt-manager to create a new interface.
>

> Now I have 2 issues:
>

> 1) I cannot get it to resize the VM with the window, the *View -> Scale
> Display -> Auto Resize VM with Window *option is greyed out

For this issue, please check the following configurations of your VM:

   - Does your VM have a GUI?  If not, '*Auto Resize VM with Window'*
   option will be disabled in text mode.
   - Does the service 'qumu-guest-agent' is running inside your VM?
   - Does the VM be configured with 'qemu-ga' channel? If not, you can add
   it via virt-manager or 'virsh edit command'
      - <channel type="unix">
        <target type="virtio" name="org.qemu.guest_agent.0"/>
        <address type="virtio-serial" controller="0" bus="0" port="1"/>
      </channel>

Hope the above information can do you a favor, thanks.

> 2) the VMware vm was setup with a PPTP based VPN, but in the converted kvm
> / virt-mananger vm the vpn will not connect, it simply says an error
> occurred.

Sorry, I have no idea about this one. Or you can provide much more
information about it, thanks.

> Thanks in advance

Best Regards,
Junqin Zhou(周俊芹)